Monday, September 10, 2007

Bloom Where You Are Planted

Several weeks ago we received the news that our daughter had been accepted into a school that we had been on the waiting list for 3 years. She was going to an excellent charter school already but they had no middle school or high school prospects associated with their elementary. We are zoned for some schools that are not the best. A decision had to made within 5 days to transfer. I agonized over this decision. She was so close to her friends at the other school and the year had already started. She was well liked by her teachers and she was learning many wonderful educational and social skills. It was a terrible predicament to move from what we knew and loved so well to another equally great choice but one that was new and different. Together our family decided that we would take the chance and make the move. The new school would offer her opportunities to grow in some areas that the other one hadn't . I cried and worried for the next week, wondering if I had done right by my daughter. One day I started crying in front in her (a big no no if you want your child to feel secure!) She put her hand on my arm and she said, "mom it's alright". I kept a sharp lookout for signs of stress in her. Was that tummy ache and stuffy nose a result of the move? No, she just had a little virus. It went away a few days later. At the end of that first week the one teacher had written me a short note on how well Abbie was doing in class. Then the second week at the new school she brought home a certificate saying she was "student of the week". When asked what she thinks of the new school she says," I really like it. I want to stay at the new school mom." She has already made three friends. We have had two of her friends from her old school spend the night. Slowly my panic and worry are subsiding. My daughter is blooming where she is planted. She amazes me with her ability to adapt to change and thrive in it. I hope I can be like that when change comes my way.

1 comment:

Shawn's Journey said...

Wow, awesome insights. This is an amazing story. I'm so encouraged to hear from all of you mothers of your struggles and successes. As far as your story goes, doesn't "faith like a child" take on new meaning or what?